As a Chief of Staff, your role in your organization goes beyond that of a typical manager or executive. You're responsible for overseeing the daily activities of other executives while helping the CEO achieve their goals, so it's crucial that you present yourself well on paper. Your resume, more than anything else, is the first point of contact with potential employers. Hence, it needs to be captivating and professional. To create a winning resume, you must take a couple of steps.
- Start with a Summary Section: This section should be placed towards the top of your resume, right under your name and contact information. It's an opportunity for you to immediately capture the reader's attention by outlining your professional experience and your relevant accomplishments. Your overview should point out the key things you possess in relation to the requirements of the job posting. It should leave the hiring manager with a positive first impression of you.
- Include Quantitative Results: As a Chief of Staff, your work revolves around solving problems and streamlining operations to save time and money. You must show how you bring value to the company. To do this, use numbers to demonstrate the impact of your work. Showcase metrics such as cost savings, increased efficiencies, revenue growth, and return on investment (ROI). This will make the resume easily scannable and help hiring managers quickly identify the value you bring to an organization.
- Showcase Your Leadership Abilities: Companies need to know that their Chief of Staff is an excellent communicator and an effective leader. Therefore, you should highlight examples of leadership skills and experience, such as leading cross-functional teams or managing budgets. You should also feature specific examples of how you have added value to an organization, such as implementing cost-saving measures, improving operational efficiency or leading high-impact initiatives.
- Emphasize Your Soft Skills: As a Chief of Staff, you need to be great at reading the room and communicating with people. However, soft skills are harder to quantify than hard skills, but they are crucial for success in your role. Emphasize your strengths in areas such as teamwork, problem-solving, communication skills, adaptability, and emotional intelligence. You should back it up with specific examples of how you have applied those skills in the past and what problems you have helped solve.
- Use Relevant Keywords: To make sure your resume passes through an Applicant Tracking System (ATS), you need to include relevant keywords that appear in the job description you are applying for. These keywords should be appropriately and naturally woven into the context of your resume. Don't list them in bullet points or use a separate section for them. Keywords help your resume get past the screening stage and into the hands of a recruiter who can assess your credentials.
Your resume can have a major impact on your career path, and as a Chief of Staff, you need to make sure it showcases your experience, leadership abilities, and soft skills. Use this guide to writing a winning resume to create a compelling profile that sets you apart from the competition.
Chief of Staff with 10+ years of experience in managing operations and supporting executive leadership. Skilled in strategic planning, project management, and team leadership. Ability to efficiently communicate with stakeholders and manage competing priorities.
Chief of Staff - XYZ Company
2020 - Present
- Assisted CEO and executive team in driving strategic planning efforts resulting in a 20% increase in revenue within the first year of implementation.
- Managed cross-functional teams to ensure timely execution of key projects resulting in a 40% decrease in product launch timelines.
- Implemented new communication protocols between departments resulting in a 50% increase in inter-departmental collaboration.
Chief of Staff - ABC Organization
2016 - 2020
- Successfully implemented new performance management system resulting in a 15% increase in employee satisfaction ratings.
- Managed a team of 10+ employees with an annual budget of $2 million.
- Designed and led the organization's first-ever diversity and inclusion initiative resulting in a 25% increase in minority hires.
Bachelor of Arts in Political Science - University of California, Berkeley
2010 - 2014
Chief of Staff | Leadership | Strategy | Execution | Cross-functional Collaboration | Data Analysis
- Increased annual revenue by 27% through strategic planning and execution.
- Implemented a new project management system that reduced project delivery time by 15%.
- Managed cross-functional teams of up to 50 people in multiple projects with budgets of over $15 million.
- Analyzed financial and operational data to develop actionable insights and recommendations.
- Provided executive support to CEO in developing and implementing company-wide initiatives.
- Developed and executed communication plans for corporate initiatives, resulting in a 23% increase in employee engagement.
Chief of Staff - XYZ Company
2015 – Present
- Develop and implement strategic plans aligned with corporate goals and objectives.
- Provide executive support, including managing schedules and meetings, preparing presentations and reports, and coordinating communication with stakeholders.
- Oversee cross-functional teams and projects, ensuring delivery on-time and within budget.
- Analyze financial and operational data to identify trends, develop insights and recommendations, and inform decision-making.
Assistant Chief of Staff - ABC Corporation
2012 – 2015
- Provided executive support, including managing schedules and meetings, preparing presentations and reports, and coordinating communication with stakeholders.
- Managed cross-functional teams and projects, ensuring delivery on-time and within budget.
- Analyzed financial and operational data to identify trends and develop insights to inform decision-making.
MBA, Strategy and Finance - XYZ University
2010 – 2012
Bachelor of Science, Business Administration - ABC College
2006 – 2010
Chief of Staff | Operations Strategist | Team Leader
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (555) 555-5555
- LinkedIn: linkedin.com/in/johnsmith
Highly accomplished Chief of Staff with over 10 years of experience in operations management, strategy development, and team leadership. Proven track record of achieving exceptional results while optimizing resources and driving improvements. Excellent communicator and collaborator with a talent for building and leading teams to success.
ABC Company | Chief of Staff | 2018 – Present
- Lead the development and execution of strategic initiatives, including restructuring efforts, resulting in increased revenue by 35% year-over-year.
- Managed a team of 10 operations and finance professionals to drive operational efficiencies and streamline processes, leading to a 25% reduction in expenses.
- Collaborated with executive leadership to develop and implement a new product development pipeline, resulting in 3 successful product launches and an increase in market share by 15%.
DEF Company | Operations Manager | 2013 – 2018
- Oversaw day-to-day operations of a $50M business unit, including supply chain management, sales, customer service, and logistics.
- Implemented lean principles and process improvements, leading to a 30% increase in productivity and a 10% reduction in lead times.
- Managed a team of 25 employees and collaborated with cross-functional teams to align business goals and objectives, resulting in improved customer satisfaction ratings by 20%.
Bachelor of Business Administration | XYZ University | 2013
Certifications: Six Sigma Green Belt, Project Management Professional (PMP)
Writing a winning resume requires time, effort, and attention to detail. By following the tips we've outlined in this guide, you can create a resume that stands out and effectively communicates your skills and experience to potential employers. Remember to tailor your resume to each specific job, highlight your achievements, and quantify your results.
Don't forget to write a great cover letter that complements your resume and helps you stand out from the competition. For more tips on writing an exceptional cover letter, check out our Chief of Staff's Guide To Writing a Great Cover Letter.
Prepare for interviews by researching the company and practicing your answers to common interview questions. And, if you're currently searching for a new job, be sure to browse our remote Chief of Staff job board to find your next opportunity.
Looking to ace your interviews? Our team has put together a collection of detailed interview questions and answers for different chief of staff specializations, including Policy and Planning, Communications, Operations and Administration, Human Resources, and Legal Affairs.
Looking for a remote tech job? Search our job board for 25,000+ remote jobsSearch Remote Jobs