Why do employers ask this question?
Employers often ask the question "Tell me about a recent day working that was really great" to get a sense of your work style and what you value in a work day. This question gives you an opportunity to showcase your skills, accomplishments, and positive attitude. It also allows the employer to get a better understanding of your work ethic and how you approach your work.
How to answer the question
When answering this question, it's important to provide specific examples and details. Here are some steps to follow when preparing your answer:
- Think about a day that was particularly enjoyable or productive for you. This could be a day where you completed an important project, received recognition for your work, or simply had a great team dynamic.
- Consider why this day was great for you. What factors contributed to your positive experience? Was it the challenge of the work, the opportunity to learn new things, or the sense of accomplishment you felt upon completing the task?
- Use specific examples to illustrate your points. For example, if you enjoyed the challenge of the work, describe a specific project or task that was particularly challenging and how you were able to overcome it.
- Highlight any skills or strengths that you used on this day. Did you use your problem-solving skills to find a solution to a difficult issue? Did you use your communication skills to collaborate with your team?
- End with a positive statement about the day. Explain why it was a particularly enjoyable or productive day for you, and how it demonstrates your work ethic and values.
How to prepare for the question
To prepare for this question, it's helpful to have a few examples in mind of days that were particularly enjoyable or productive for you. You should also think about what you value in a work day and be ready to explain why those factors are important to you.
It's also a good idea to review your past work experiences and accomplishments to refresh your memory and come up with specific examples to draw from.
1. Not providing specific examples
One common mistake is to give a vague or general answer without providing specific examples. For example, saying "I had a great day at work because I got along with my coworkers" doesn't provide much detail or insight into your work style. Instead, try to provide specific examples of what made the day great, such as "I had a great day at work because I was able to collaborate with my team on a challenging project and we were able to come up with a creative solution."
2. Focusing too much on external factors
While external factors like company culture and perks can certainly contribute to a positive work experience, it's important to focus on your own contributions and accomplishments as well. Instead of just talking about how the company's ping-pong table or weekly team lunches made the day great, focus on what you personally contributed or achieved on that day.
3. Not highlighting your skills and strengths
This question is an opportunity to showcase your skills and strengths, so be sure to highlight any relevant skills or qualities that you used on this great day. For example, if you used your problem-solving skills to come up with a creative solution, be sure to mention that.
4. Not ending with a positive statement
Be sure to end your answer with a positive statement about the day and how it demonstrates your work ethic and values. This will leave a lasting impression on the interviewer and show that you are a positive, enthusiastic employee.
- "One recent day that was really great for me was when I led a team meeting and presented a new project proposal to our department head. I enjoyed the challenge of presenting to a high-level audience and was able to answer all of their questions effectively. I also received positive feedback from my team members and the department head, which was very rewarding. This day was great for me because it allowed me to use my leadership skills and contribute value to the team, which aligns with my personal values of growth and excellence."
- "A recent day that was really great for me was when I completed a complex spreadsheet for a client. I enjoy working with data and was able to use my analytical skills to create a clear and organized spreadsheet. I also received positive feedback from the client, which was very satisfying. This day was great for me because it allowed me to use my skills and attention to detail to contribute value to the team, which aligns with my personal values of quality and efficiency."
- "One recent day that was really great for me was when I had the opportunity to work on a project with a colleague from a different department. I enjoyed learning about their work and being able to collaborate with them on a project. We were able to come up with some innovative solutions and received positive feedback from our supervisor. This day was great for me because it allowed me to learn new things and work with a diverse team, which aligns with my personal values of growth and teamwork."
Looking for a remote tech job? Search our job board for 25,000+ remote jobsSearch Remote Jobs